Sunday, June 3, 2012

Strength and Conditioning is like a marriage, not a one-night stand (by Owen)

I've been with the boys from RT for about 4-5 years now. Over that time I've seen other athletes come and go. Some stay for a period trying to get ready for an event like a fight or a tournament, others just try it for a while, never to be seen again. However there's a core group of guys and girls who are there every week, week in and week out. Their reasons for staying vary, but the comforting thing is that their results keep improving as does their general and overall health. I can tell you that my body shape and lift numbers are changing all the time (usually for the better if I've had no sport injuries).

Ive also noticed other athletes who come back for just a specific time period preparing for an event train pretty hard too, whilst they have some great numbers relating to lifts and other parameters, I often wonder why they stop after their fights/events and don't come back till just before the next one?

The goal of strength and conditioning is to increase athletic performance, and cycling through the strength, power and endurance cycles mean that over time your parameters for each should improve too. Using a strength and conditioning coach to get you back to a place you have been already seems to me to be a waste. While you still may perform well, the added benefits of being more athletic than last time would mean a huge difference year on year. I can easily say that I'm a much better athlete this year than last year and this is a significant improvement on 2 years ago etc. Compared to when I was 20 I'm stronger, faster and much better built for combat sports now. If only I could recover from heavy workloads like I did back then....