Saturday, May 26, 2012

Strength Training and White Belts (by Owen)


I'd been training for about 6 months when one of my friends asked me to lift some weights with him. As I'd usually turn up to class early I thought I’d give it a go. Within 6 months I found that I became much stronger. In fact, I went from benching 60kgs to benching 100kg. This newfound strength also came in handy on the mat. I found myself powering out of submissions and getting tapped much less. However, this short term success came at a price.

These short term gains ended up holding me back. As my classmates became more technical I became less technical, relying on my new strength to get me out of tough situations. After coming to this realization, I stopped strength and conditioning training until I received my purple belt. I probably could have started a bit earlier but at that point I could fully understand how to apply my strength technically. This effectively made my progress through though purple belt very fast.
There is no point having a fast car if you don’t know how to drive. First develop the technical foundations which BJJ is all about, then reinforce them with some Strength and Conditioning. As every white belt gets told, "forget about your strength", I too had to find out the hard way.