Thursday, October 11, 2012

RT Origins: Athletics, Not Aesthetics

Movie prequels seem to be the ‘in thing’ in Hollywood at the moment, so I thought I would follow suit. 
Being involved in some form of coaching for professional fighters was a goal of mine since I was sixteen. I followed two things religiously from a relatively early age: MMA and Fitness Training. My global awareness was poor and I had limited general knowledge, but I did know fitness. Every bit of free time I had was invested into training, reading about training or thinking about training. 
When I reached the age of twenty, I decided to open the door of the fitness industry and take my first step. I had adopted a training philosophy focused on objective results. I was interested in developing specific fitness parameters, rather than focusing on my physical appearance. This eventually became the backbone of RT: ‘Athletics, Not Aesthetics’. 
I remember talking with a gym junkie friend, and explained the slogan I had planned to use: ‘Athletics, Not Aesthetics’. He wasn’t impressed. He insisted that the majority of people want to train to look better, and aren’t concerned with their physical ability. He predicted our RT jingle would be a deterrent.
Aware that I was targeting a niche market, I was willing to do whatever it took to make it work. Those who trained in the ‘shed era’ can vouch that equipment we had was far from sophisticated, but we still made great strides. Had I modified RT’s philosophy and settled for a training system to build the ultimate beach body, things would be a lot different. 
Some clarification… we don’t want our athletes to look like Roy Nelson - a good physique is great for self-confidence, attracting the opposite sex, etc.  We are simply guiding our clients in unleashing their athletic ability (enhanced aesthetics are typically a by-product). We don’t want our clients to just look like athletes. We want to make them athletes.