Wednesday, April 25, 2012

You can't push through overtaining...

Being a BJJ practitioner is like being in a war of attrition. You accept very early on that you are going to have lots of days where you get beaten down. There's a saying that "some days you are the hammer, some days the nail". You learn that being the nail is part of the course, and that the days you are the hammer are few and far between and you savor these moments for months if not years. This mindset leads to you considering yourself mentally tough and you learn that even when things don't go your way you must keep grinding through and this can be a metaphor for life. These are great qualities that BJJ has instilled in me but once I added strength and conditioning to the mix the extra workload carried with it some risk.

After my first article I explained that there was a dip in my performance whilst my body became accustomed to the new training regime. When I came out the other side it felt like I could adapt to whatever workload was thrown at me. Training hard twice a day was no problem and I kept up a high work rate for nearly 2 years.

At this point, I found that whilst my body was coping ok with the work, I started to notice that I was flat at training. I was just going through the motions and getting from session to session. My mind wanted to train hard but concentrating and every effort I made didn't seem to yield the same results as previous. Whilst I was grinding to a halt my mindset told me to keep plugging along and maybe even increase my workload to combat my stalling progress. If it wasn't for my strength and conditioning coach (Jason Gulati from Real training) recognizing this as overtraining I would have continued to toil away for next to no reward or worse, at the risk of injuring myself due to inattention or lack of concentration. So how do you recognize overtraining and how can you tell if it's affecting you? See Jason's next article on recognizing the signs.

The next problem is what to do about it? Basically there are no shortcuts, your body needs a break and the length of this break depends on how long and how overtrained you are. Do yourself a favour and take a holiday from everything, don't even think about your sport. Maybe even take up a new one? I started boxing with a great coach and friend Eddy Kaliboti, and that really freshened up my mind forcing it to think and calculate new problems making my my brain accept the return to Jiu jitsu more readily. The result, a short well earned break, new skills and a new found hunger for my chosen sport. Win win win!!!

By Owen Gee Kee
Co-Owner of Underdog Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and Underdog Fight Gear